The immunity system of our body is one of the most important systems in our body. It makes sure that you stay strong and healthy. CBD oil might be able to help you with boosting your immune systeem.
Eventhough CBD oil is still fairly new, with not many studies about how it actually works and the benefits of it. However, a handful of studies on CBD show us that CBD and other cannabinoids can influence the immune system to improve your health.
The immune system itself
The immune system keeps all the invaders of the daily life away. Such as: diseases, infections, viruses and bacteria — all of this could kill us, if the immune system would not exist. The immune system is a network of cells, organs and tissues that work together to destroy foreign cells or particles, thus keeping you healthy and alive. The key elements in this system and who make this happen are the white blood cells.
There are two types of white blood cells: lymphocytes and phagocytes.
- Lymphocytes are known as B-cells and T-cells and they destroy toxins or harmful foreign substances. They also help to remind these unwanted substances so that the body can respond quickly when it detects the same substances.
- Phagocytes helo absorb and neutralize the invaders and prevent them from spreading and causing more damage.
The Endocannabinoid System and Immune System
Since not a very long time ago, we know that the Endocannabinoid system (ECS) helps establish and maintain homeostasis, or balance, between the various systems in the body. Your body produces endocannabinoids as needed to help regulate or modulate cell function, including cells in the immune system.
The way that CBD influences the Immune system
Studies have shown that CBD has anti-inflammatory properties and it functions ass an immunosuppressant and immunomodulator. The studies about CBD being an immunosuppressant are the easiest to explain:
- CBD has anti-inflammatory properties, which can reduce the immune system’s inflammatory response.
- CBD can promote cellular death.
- CBD can prevent proliferation or rapid cellular growth.
- Cbd can modulate and regulate the function and secretion of cytokines. Cytokines are protein groups, they signal molecules that regulate your body’s immunity, white blood cell production and inflammation.
- CBD can suppress the production of chemokine. Chemokines lead immune cells to an infection so that the white blood cells can attack and destroy invading substances.
- CBD can suppress T-Cell production and function, to remember foreign invaders even better.
It is a pretty long and impressive list. But as a healthy person, it might be better to not take CBD for your immune system. You don’t want to suppress or hinder all of these cells and proteins. So why would somebody take CBD for the immune system?
CBD and Autoimmune Diseases
An autoimmune disease is when your immune system does not work properly. Instead of attacking foreign microbes and antigens, it attacks healthy cells, tissue and/or organs. They lead to a weakening of proper body functions.
CBD can reduce that inflammation where a lot of autoimmune systems deal with. Also, people with an hyperactive immune system, that end up attacking themselves, can benefit from CBD oil.
The information we have know, it shows that CBD has great potential for being aan effectiever natural forms of therapy for those who have autoimmune diseases.
NOTE: Do not use CBD oil without first consulting with your doctor.